Thursday, March 18, 2010

Oasis in the Desert; Sabino Canyon

I spent several years in Tucson attending the University of Arizona. It was five years to be exact, but who's counting. You might say that I wasn't in any hurry to graduate and face the working world, which probably was true at the time. Looking back, I do miss my carefree college days. There were plenty of things to see and do in and around Tucson and I did as much as I could -- my grade point average can attest to that. But one spot I missed was Sabino Canyon.




I now travel to Tucson once a month on business. Usually I make the trip from Phoenix and back in one day, but on a recent trip I decided to stay an extra day and check out Sabino Canyon.


I got an early start on a Friday morning, to avoid the crowd, which turned out to be the right idea. Sabino Canyon is one of the most popular recreation spots in Tucson. And no wonder, it's only a 30-minute drive from Downtown. It's estimated that nearly 1.25 million people visit Sabino Canyon each year to take part in a number of popular outdoor activities, including walking, jogging, hiking and cycling.







For those who are less athletic, there is a tram to take visitors up the canyon, 3.7 miles to the end of the gorge, and back to the Visitor Center. The 45-minute, narrated trip is worth the $8 fee.



My original plan was to take the tram up to the top and walk back down. However, the snow melt off of Mt. Lemmon had the stream flowing and water was running over the top of every bridge. Not enough that you couldn't cross it, but enough to get you pretty wet. So I thought I'd take the easy way out and stay on the tram for the return trip.






But on the ride back down, I realized that I couldn't cross this off my list unless I hiked at least part way through Sabino Canyon. So when I reached my first bridge, I took off my shoes and socks and rolled up my pant legs and wadded across the bridge through the icy cold water. I started at tram stop 2, and by the time I got to tram stop 5 I had crossed the stream four times. I had also stopped removing my shoes and socks and was soaked from the knees down. But that's part of the experience, isn't it? You don't usually see water flowing in the desert, and when you do you should enjoy it.




The residents of Tucson are lucky to have such a beautiful, desert oasis, like Sabino Canyon, right in their own backyard. As for me, I was lucky to finally go there, even if it did take me more than 25 years to do it.



No comments: