Thursday, September 16, 2010

Detour: ¿Cómo Decir "Hot Dog?"

There are several varieties of hot dogs made throughout the U.S. Among them, the Coney Island, Chicago-style and Chili dog are well-known. In Arizona, we also have our version of this American classic, it's called the Sonoran hot dog.


Never heard of it? Neither had I. That was until a little more than a year ago when I came across an article in Sunset magazine titled "Western essential No. 6: The Sonoran hot dog." When I saw it again, featured on the Travel Channel's Man v. Food and Food Wars, I knew that I had to come here -- to El Guero Canelo in Tucson, Ariz.



El Guero Canelo is actually located in South Tucson, a one square mile community within metropolitan Tucson. Also called "The Pueblo within a City," South Tucson reflects the culture and traditions of its primarily Hispanic population. In the neighborhood surrounding El Guero Canelo all the storefronts and billboards are in Spanish, and the language spoken on the street is Spanish, too.


While today you will find a brightly colored eatery with plenty of open-air seating, the family-run restaurant had a more humble beginning. El Guero's started as "street food" (a taco stand), which is popular among the Spanish culture. A portion of the family's food truck has been preserved for posterity and is used as the restaurant's pick up window.



Your first visit to El Guero Canelo can be a bit intimidating. Everyone there seems to know the process, but you. Luckily I fell into the right line and placed my order - one Sonoran hot dog with a traditional Mandarin soda, straight from Mexico. The food is prepared quickly and your number is called, in Spanish and (fortunately for me) in English, too.

What you get is a little white box filled with a combination of Mexican and American flavors. The hot dog, which is a bit more plump than the average ball park frank, is nestled inside a soft, sweet roll. Unlike American buns, however, this one is cut though on the top, creating a pocket to hold in all the goodness -- beans, salsa, onions, bacon and sour cream. I topped mine with a little avocado crema. Yum!


It didn't take me long to devour my first Sonoran hot dog. In fact, it was so good that I thought I would order another, but by the size of the crowd that had gathered inside, so did everyone else. Find a crowded restaurant and you'll find good food. When you're in Tucson, you'll find good food, and a great Sonoran hot dog, at El Guero Canelo.

No comments: